Saturday, February 14, 2009

Otomen, Vol. 1 Review

Author: Aya Kanno
Release Date: February 3, 2009
Genre: Shojo, romance, drama
Publisher: Viz Media

Otomen is about Asuka Masamune, the manliest guy in his high school. He excels at sports and is adored by all of the girls. On the inside, he's quite the girly man. He loves to sew and cook, and even reads shojo manga and romance novels. Because of his mother raising him under the pretense that boys should act like boys, he has shoved this part of him deep inside. When he finds himself taking a fancy to Ryo, a beautiful, sweet girl at his school, though, his girliness begins to emerge. He is torn between doing sweet, girly things for Ryo to show his affection and asserting his manly image because of his upbringing.

I'll be honest, when I read the preview for this manga in Shojo Beat a few months back, I wasn't too sure about it. It seemed downright silly, not to mention boring. When I saw it at the bookstore, though, I went ahead and grabbed it. I'm glad I did! After the first chapter, it really picks up and gets interesting.

In general, the art is pretty basic, but beautiful. There are definitely some amazing shots in there, but the art isn't really the focus in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment