Sunday, February 15, 2009

Time Stranger Kyoko: Series Review

Author: Arina Tanemura
End Date: January 2009
Genre: Shojo, comedy, fantasy, romance
Publisher: Viz Media

This three volume series is set in the future (though the setting is really more of a mix of modern and ancient times). It is about Kyoko, a reluctant princess whose twin sister is stuck in a suspended state. Though her sister, Ui, ages, she has only slept since she was born. To awaken her sister and relinquish her duties as princess, Kyoko must become the Time Stranger - a person with the ability to control time. She then must go on a mission to find the other eleven Strangers. When they are all brought together, it is believe that Ui will awaken, and Kyoko may go on to live the normal life of which she has always dreamed.

First, I want to point out that this was actually serialized in Ribon in Japan back in 2001, but was only recently picked up by Viz Media. I'd heard it mentioned when people discussed Tanemura-san's series that are more famous in the US (such as Full Moon, and I.O.N.), but had never really heard anything else about it. Scanlations have been available for years now, but since I hadn't ever heard much praise for it, I never checked it out. However, back in June '08, I read a preview of this manga in Shojo Beat. I decided right then that I had to have it. As soon as it was available, I ran out and grabbed volume one. Though I did my best to spread out my reading, I finished it in three days. When volume two hit shelves, the same thing happened! By then, I knew that only one more volume would be released (besides Tanemura-san's notes in the manga itself, I had looked it up and seen that there were only three volumes), and I was pretty sad.

When I picked up volume three last month, I was a little disappointed that so much of the story had been skipped, but it was nice to not have to sit through volume after volume of monster-of-the-day stuff. On top of that, the story got absolutely amazing! I don't want to give much away, but so much happened in volume three, and yet not a single page felt rushed. I teared up a little, I giggled some, and at the end, I didn't even get that 'I can't believe it's over' feeling. I felt like the storoy had been wrapped up nicely, and that everything worked out perfectly.

Even if you're not a big shojo buff, I definitely suggest picking up all three volumes of this. The story is just fantastic, and the art is nothing short of breath taking (but then, that is to be expected of Tanemura-san!).

No comments:

Post a Comment